Tips for improving communication
- Position yourself close to the hearing aid user.
- Get their attention and establish eye contact before you speak.
- Try to choose quiet spots for conversation - avoid background noise.
- Speak clearly - do not raise your voice. Hearing aid users often have problems with the clarity of the spoken word, not the volume.
- If they have trouble understanding you, rephrase using different words.
- Turn off the radio and TV.
- Try to take your time.
Many people with a hearing loss need cues from lip movement to supplement their hearing. You can support a person with a hearing loss by doing this:
- Place yourself so your face is clearly visible.
- Avoid talking while eating.
- Do not smoke when talking.
- Do not cover your mouth with your hand.